Sailing can be a rich educational experience for children - but valuable, transferable learning won’t just happen by itself. Whether you’re setting off on a summer cruise, crossing an ocean, or committing to a year or more of home schooling, Lesson Plans Ahoy will make learning relevant and enjoyable. This expanded edition includes a new section on the how-to’s of home schooling on a boat with everything parents need to choose or design their own program. Connect experience to education with ten detailed units, including:
- Science: Model the lunar cycle, dissect a fish, and try chemistry.
- Mathematics: Graph resource use and study geometry.
- Writing: A thorough primer for journal, non-fiction, and creative writing.
- History: Bring the voyages of Columbus and Captain Cook to life.
- Navigation: Compass use, hands-on mapping, and more.
- Physical Education: Study heart rate and exercise – on your boat!
Each unit includes detailed information on:
- Materials required - selected for practicality on a boat.
- Activities and assignments that your child will enjoy.
- Age-Appropriate Adaptations for ages 4-12 in detail.
- Tips for cross-curricular links and enrichment.
- Suggested resources to support learning.
Plus sections that detail:
- The pros and cons of packaged versus self-designed programs.
- Strategies for schooling on board.
- Structuring a curriculum from overall plan to daily lessons.
Useful appendices, including:
- Resources, Interdisciplinary Units, and Field Trips.
- Sample unit breakdowns.
- Cross-reference to academic standards in national and state curricula (US, UK, Canada, and Australia).
Connect experience to education as a family, and reap the rewards!